Major Duties Summary:
The museum collections manager is the primary staff member charged with maintaining the museum collections and the records that document them. The museum collections manager works with the staff, interns, and outside vendors to ensure that the museum collections are properly documented, stored, and displayed. The museum collections manager plays an important role in establishing and achieving goals to improve the care and preservation of and access to the museum collections and may be called upon to lead staff-wide projects in these areas, such as emergency preparedness and building security.
Major duties and responsibilities:
· Managing proper documentation of the museum collections, including accessioning and deaccessioning, cataloging, inventories, and other records;
· Maintaining the collections management database (Past Perfect) and object files;
· Ensuring proper care and preservation of the museum collections by managing the museum collections storage rooms, environmental conditions data and analysis, curatorial housekeeping, and conservation projects;
· Contributing to exhibition planning and installation, including overseeing incoming and outgoing loans.
· Bachelor’s degree in museum studies, Master’s degree preferred.
· At least 2 years of professional experience managing artifact collections in a museum environment.
·Thorough knowledge of collections management standards and best practices.
· Demonstrated experience managing the care, preservation, and documentation of museum collections. especially in museum registration, Past Perfect software, object handling and housing, loan procedures, and exhibition installation.
· Excellent project management skills.
· Ability to perform moderate physical activity, such as climbing ladders, lifting, kneeling, and standing or walking for extended periods of time.
· Ability to work occasional evening and weekend hours.
· Organized, detail-oriented, able to work independently and take initiative, an effective writer and public speaker. and eager to contribute to the Museum’s work.
· Experience leading staff teams in larger projects.
Salary range $30,000 to $34,000, position open until filled
Resume and cover letter to:
Denver Firefighters Museum
1326 Tremont Place
Denver, CO 80204
MPMA: A 10-State Regional Museum Association
Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Texas and Wyoming
1540 Yakima Drive | Colorado Springs, CO 80915T: 440-812-7221
| www.mpma.net | firstname.lastname@example.org
All content © 2002-2016 Mountain-Plains Museums Association (MPMA)