Collections Manager / Registrar at the National Music Museum,
Vermillion, South Dakota
Application deadline: October 15, 2022
The National Music Museum invites applications for the position of Collections Manager and Registrar. The NMM houses one of the world’s finest and largest collections of musical instruments and related archives and is in the final stages of a reopening project. This is a benefits eligible, full-time, Monday-Friday position. Salary $50,000 - $54,000, depending on experience. Occasional evening and weekend work may be required for special projects and events. The NMM is associated with the University of South Dakota, but this is not a university supported position. This position is funded by NMM, Inc.
Areas of responsibility
- Storage and display
- Inventory and object tracking
- Loan coordination and documentation
- TMS (The Museum System) database
- Facilities Management
See www.nmmusd.org/careers for additional information about the areas of responsibility for this position. This job description should not be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities, or requirements, but a general description of the job.
Required Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
- Master’s degree in Museum Studies, Music or related fields plus 3 years or more of progressively responsible collections management and/or museum registration experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of and experience with museum registration and collections management and care, including techniques for handling objects, and storage practices.
- Knowledge of, or ability to quickly learn, TMS (The Museum System) database.
Preferred Qualifications – Experience, Education, Knowledge & Skills
The successful candidate will also:
- Demonstrated knowledge of Integrated Pest Management.
- Experience in digitization techniques
- Ability to teach a university course as qualified and requested.
- Show strong organizational skills.
- Be able to work collaboratively as well as independently.
- Possess a strong attention to detail.
- Be able to assess priorities and work well under pressure.
- Have the ability to communicate with diverse groups of NMM stakeholders.
- Possess excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Have a strong commitment to museum ethics and best practices.
Job requires the ability to lift a reasonable amount of weight relevant to the NMM musical instrument collection. Candidates must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodations. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required, but may not be all inclusive.
See www.nmmusd.org/careers for complete information about this job posting.
Application Opening Date: September 20, 2022
Application Closing Date: October 15, 2022
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Desired start date: November or December 2022
Screening of applications will begin immediately.
To apply, send a cover letter and resume/CV along with names of at least three (3) references via email to:
Dwight Vaught, Director
National Music Museum
(No phone calls please)